During World War II, the College Training Program was created to provide education for men in the Unites States Air Force Aviation Cadet Program. Moorhead State Teachers College was one of 153 colleges that participated in this program.
The 346th College Training Detachment began as the 71st College Training Detachment (CTD) on March 1, 1943. On April 25, 1943, the 71st CTD was merged into the 346th CTD and, on May 1, 1944, the 346th was absorbed into the 3084th AAF Base Unit (College Training, Aircrew). Sixteen "squadrons" of Army Air Force students were trained at Moorhead State Teachers College over the life of the 346th.